Forum

Preparation phase  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
22/08/2019 8:41 am  

Hi Martyna, you can change the duration of the original recording to anything you want. You can also select and process a specific region from the original recording.

ReplyQuote
MartynaKosecka
(@martynakosecka)
Eminent Member
23/08/2019 8:36 pm  

Thank you so much! I did my job and sent the sound file.

ReplyQuote
Mariamg
(@mariamg)
Eminent Member
24/08/2019 1:03 am  

Hello all, 

I just sent one of the processed samples in. I used Reaper for processing and tried to keep the original sound present. 

Have a great weekend! 
Mariam 

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
24/08/2019 10:31 am  

Hello, thank everyone for his/her contribution! Here you can listen to the sounds of the second period.

Generally, I would say that you need to apply more radical transformations that a have low resemblance to the original recordings. In the development phase you will have all the basic tools to apply trivial transformations. For this phase the goal is to assemble diverse building blocks that will enable the composition of versatile musical phrases. New or transformed recordings should capture one sound event with characteristic and consistent sonic qualities. Please give names to the files that describe the new sound object. This will facilitate the composition process and enhance the group communication.

I would suggest that you have a look at some papers that discuss spectromorphology like this and this one. This may give you ideas about what sound objects/textures are missing for a comprehensive sound database and provide a vocabulary for discussion. Please post other publications that may be relevant.

For the next period you will further enrich the sound database with new or transformed sounds. Upload your sound files here until Monday 26.8.2019 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

This post was modified 6 months ago 6 times by Kosmas

ReplyQuote
Mariamg
(@mariamg)
Eminent Member
24/08/2019 2:27 pm  

Hi Kosmas, 

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions for the articles! 

I have just sent in another sound file using the same link we uploaded previous samples at. 
Hope that is the right way of doing it. 

Mariam 

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
24/08/2019 4:26 pm  

Hi everyone, I would like to clarify a little bit more the current process we are going through. The preparation phase is divided 5 periods. In each period you can upload new or transformed recordings. The sounds of each period can be build on the sounds of previous periods. As a consequence the first period can have only original recordings. The third period for example can have sounds that are the transformation of a transformation of an original sound. You can again think about this process as creating tree structures. An original sound is a root and a transformation a branch. It is up to you how many, how long and with how many branches these trees will end up. In the end of the phase I will make a visualization of the trees. But how these trees will look like is not a primary concern, you should concentrate on the task of creating a database with distinctive, diverse and unrefined sounds, that will serve as the building blocks for the composition of various musical phrases.

ReplyQuote
eriknystrom
(@eriknystrom)
Eminent Member
26/08/2019 5:03 pm  

Hi just a quick one to say that I might be a little late with my submission. Today is a public holiday in the UK and I've been away with my family all weekend so not sure I'll be able to submit today. I'll try but otherwise I'll put something up asap tomorrow. Sorry! 

Best

Erik

ReplyQuote
MartynaKosecka
(@martynakosecka)
Eminent Member
26/08/2019 7:23 pm  

Hi! Thank you for such a useful feedback Kosmas. I didn't manage to read the whole articles, but gonna sit on them next weekend.
This time I tried to go more far from the original sound used, hopefully I managed, but I know it is still possible to go even further.
Looking forward to the next challenges!

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
27/08/2019 1:05 pm  

Hi everyone, the recordings of the third period are online. One recording is still missing which will be posted soon. We continue further with the fourth period in which you will further enrich the database. Deadline for upload is on Thursday 29.08.2019 at 23:59 in your local time zone. Upload webpage here.

ReplyQuote
eriknystrom
(@eriknystrom)
Eminent Member
29/08/2019 10:44 am  

Hi Kosmas

Jut to let you know that I had some errors whilst uploading and am not sure if my sound arrived ok – could you please let me know if you've not received a sound from me?

Cheers

Erik

ReplyQuote
Mariamg
(@mariamg)
Eminent Member
29/08/2019 9:26 pm  

Hi all,

I have recorded and uploaded a Georgian poem this time. I'm sure you've never heard the language before, so it should be fun to listen to. Besides, the poem itself has an interesting sound and rhythmic structure. 

Sorry for the voice though, having a heavy flu. 

Enjoy! 
Mariam 

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
30/08/2019 10:07 am  

Hello everyone, thank you very much for your timely uploads. The sound recording database is growing and is waiting for the sounds of the fifth and final period. Deadline for upload is on Sunday 01.09.2019 at 23:59 in your local time zone.

ReplyQuote
eriknystrom
(@eriknystrom)
Eminent Member
30/08/2019 10:59 pm  

Hi Kosmas

Thanks for all this. Sorry to do this again, but I just want to flag up that the Sunday deadline is a bit difficult for me as I often don't get any time to compose in the weekends nowadays as I have two kids who take up a lot of my time, and today I had to work on another piece of music. I'll try but I may not have something until by Monday. Very sorry about that.

Actually, it would be very useful to have a schedule with all the deadlines coming up ahead, if that's at all possible, so we can set time aside for this in advance. The autumn term starts soon at my work and I'm going to be very busy in a few weeks, so I want to stay on top of this if I can!

Wish you all a great weekend

Erik

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: