Forum

Introduction

Introduction  

RSS

Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
25/07/2019 6:52 pm  

Here we introduce ourselves and post links of our websites and works.

This topic was modified 8 months ago by Kosmas

Topic Tags
juan.vasquez
(@juan-vasquez)
01/08/2019 10:34 pm  

Hello! So it seems that I'll be starting with the introductions!

My name is Juan Carlos Vasquez, I'm a Colombian composer currently based in the United States, currently part of the McIntire Department of Music at the University of Virginia. First of all, I'd like to thank Kosmas and Artemi-Maria for leading the efforts in this project, organizing the framework for the collaboration in such a detailed manner. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it develops: I have worked with networks of Intelligent Agents in the past, but never coupled with a network of collaborating human composers!

Regarding my own background, I specialize in acousmatic music composition, music for instruments and live electronics and NIME design/performance. Before moving to the USA I was part of the Department of Media at Aalto University in Finland, where I taught interaction design for new musical interfaces and composition with data-flow programming environments. We conducted research regarding idiomatic composition practices for NIMEs and worked in an interface that tracks the level of engagement of the performer (using machine learning) and reacts in an autonomous way to keep the user interested. Prior to my engagements with the Music Technology world, though, I received a rather traditional conservatory-like education in acoustic composition and piano. 

Currently, my research line falls at the intersection between music technology and classical music. I’ve also become interested in compositional paradigms with the ability to face technological obsolescence. 

Thanks again and very happy to work with such an array of talented composers,

Kindly, J. 

Kosmas and Mariamg liked
ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
01/08/2019 11:00 pm  

@juan-vasquez

Hi Juan Carlos, thank you very much for your post, I am very happy to have you on board! Could you also post links with your website and a recent work so that your fellow composers can get to know your artistic practice better?

ReplyQuote
juan.vasquez
(@juan-vasquez)
01/08/2019 11:17 pm  

Sure thing, @kosmas !

My website is http://www.jcvasquez.com/

An example of acousmatic music: http://www.jcvasquez.com/portfolio_page/a-landscape-of-events/

An example of the NIME I mentioned in action (the one that tracks levels of engagement): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8sKcMqN-Q

An example of a piece for instruments and live electronics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVEC7gdXv0

ReplyQuote
pkokoras
(@pkokoras)
01/08/2019 11:29 pm  

Qualia (2017) https://soundcloud.com/pkokoras/qualia-tape

Homepage: http://panayiotiskokoras.com/

Hello,

My name is Panayiotis Kokoras currently an Associate Professor of composition and CEMI director (Center for Experimental Music and Intermedia) at the University of North Texas, USA. Born in Greece, I have studied classical guitar and composition in Athens, Greece and York, England; and taught for many years at Aristotle University in Thessaloniki. In my compositions I use sound as the only structural unit. The concept of "holophonic musical texture" describes my goal that each independent sound (phonos), contributes equally into the synthesis of the total (holos). In both instrumental and electroacoustic writing, my music calls upon a "virtuosity of sound," a hyper-idiomatic writing which emphasizes on the precise production of variable sound possibilities and the correct distinction between one timbre and another to convey the musical ideas and structure of the piece. My compositional output is also informed by musical research in Music Information Retrieval compositional strategies, Extended techniques, Tactile sound, Hyperidiomaticity, Robotics, Sound and Consciousness.

I am excited about the idea of collaborating remotely with such a great group of composers on a single composition project using machine learning algorithms. I am also particularly interested in the interaction between human and machine and how AI could improve upon this interaction. Adding machine learning to the composer's toolset could allow for more intuitive and creative space for the composer.

Best regards, 

Panayiotis

Kosmas and Mariamg liked
ReplyQuote
Mariamg
(@mariamg)
Eminent Member
02/08/2019 2:58 pm  

Hello,

My name is Mariam Gviniashvili and I am currently pursuing my second Master’s in Music Performance Technology, specializing in spatial composition, at the Norwegian Academy of Music.
Born in Tbilisi, Georgia, I have studied instrumental composition at the Tbilisi State Conservatoire, Electronic Music Media at Liszt Academy of Music and Music Technology at the Norwegian Academy of Music. Before settling on this path, I have been trained as a singer and pianist in classical and later in jazz music.
I compose acousmatic music, often for large speaker arrays. I have also created audiovisual media and interactive sound-art works.
Apart from my creative work, I am actively involved in organizing educational programs and experimental music festivals in Tbilisi, where I had also held music technology studio manager and a guest teacher positions.

My website is currently being set up, but I will be able to share it with you until the project is finished.

Here is a private link to the stereo reduction of my recent work - FLUX, original format: 5th order Ambisonics
https://soundcloud.com/mako-gviniashvili/flux/s-tsMtw

I would like to thank Artemi-Maria and Kosmas for organizing the project and I am very much looking forward to collaborating with you!

Best wishes,
Mariam

Kosmas liked
ReplyQuote
eriknystrom
(@eriknystrom)
Eminent Member
02/08/2019 5:13 pm  

Hello!

It's great to meet you all virtually. Many thanks to Kosmas and Artemis for instigating and organising all this, it's very exciting!

My name is Erik Nyström and I am do mainly live computer music and fixed media electroacoustic music. I currently lecture at City, University of London. I studied electroacoustic composition with Denis Smalley (at City) and then I did a research fellowship at BEAST University of Birmingham. I started out doing exclusively fixed media acousmatic music but have since moved into live algorithmic music mainly. I tend to work in multichannel formats and some of my interests are spatial texture, sound synthesis (not only techniques for synthesis but also synthesis from an aesthetic perspective and the presence/role of technology in sound), sound as a distributed process, the decentering of human agency. I have worked quite a lot with machine learning recently but only in the live domain, and not collaboratively. I was really drawn into this project because I'm interested in how artificial agents may change or affect mine/our 'human' aesthetics. I find possibilities of distributing creativity between several human and technological agents are compelling both musically and philosophically.

my website is www.eriknystrom.com

I've been rubbish at maintaining my soundcloud recently but it's here: https://soundcloud.com/erik-nystrom

Looking forward to discussing ideas. 

All the best for now!

Erik

Kosmas liked
ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
04/08/2019 12:00 pm  

Thank you for your introductions! While we are waiting for Martyna's (@martynakosecka) introduction, I would suggest that we move to the conception discussion under the Collaborative process tab.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Kosmas

ReplyQuote
MartynaKosecka
(@martynakosecka)
Eminent Member
04/08/2019 6:18 pm  

Hello!

Sorry for being late on introducing myself!

My name is Martyna Kosecka, I am a composer, conductor and a performer.
Even if originally Polish, I've lived for several years in Iran, recently came back to Poland, and quite soon, in three weeks, move to live in Oslo, Norway.
My website: www.martynakosecka.com
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/martyna-kosecka/topic-the-music-of-pressures
Some youtube SpectroDuo improvisation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47siTIkHZCs

I've studied music at the Music Academy in Krakow and Katowice in Poland, got pretty classical training in composition, but also had a great chance to study electroacoustic composition at the Electroacoustic Music Studio in Krakow with Marek Choloniewski and Mateusz Bien. Right now I am a PhD candidate at Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Finland, pursuing my research on "stretched harmony system", derived from the spectral analysis of chords and way of transcribing the results into both acoustic and electroacoustic compositional works.
Except of my research, I also run Tehran Contemporary Music Festival in Iran as artistic co-director.
I write many compositions for instruments and fixed media or live electronics; I also try to develop myself as an improviser in an electroacoustic music duo SpectroDuo that I run with my husband, so we work most of all on MaxMSP, self made patches, use field recordings, and which is most important for me in terms of perception and time organization, really improvise with sound materials live. I care about being spontaneous in creating music, pushing the limits, mixing mediums in preparation of art forms, and always learning something new to expand my palette of techniques. 

I am very curious about the CECIA project and look forward to collaborate with all wonderful composers gathered in here. A huge thank you for Artemi-Maria and Kosmas for organization of the whole thing!

Best,

Martyna Kosecka

Kosmas liked
ReplyQuote
Share: